PMI has broadly diversified its certification offerings into General project management certifications, Project domain specific certifications, Skill specific certifications. As the offerings increases, it becomes complex to choose the right certification. This blog post will help you to choose the right PMI certification based on your present work experience and future career aspirations.
PMI General project management certifications applicable to all streams of project management
- PMP – Project Management Professional Certification still remain the flagship certification by PMI, because of its global recognition. This is not domain specific. Hence for anybody who want to understand predictive project management, agile project management and hybrid project management, this is ideal. If you have around 4 years of work experience after graduation, and if you are looking forward to going for a well-recognized project management certification, PMP is the one to go.
- CAPM – Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)
- PMI-RMP – Risk management professional (PMI-RMP)
- PMI-PBA – Professional in business analysis
- PgMP – Program management professional
- PfMP – Portfolio management professional
- PMI-SP – PMI Scheduling professional
- PMI Project management ready (for school students)
PMI Construction project management certifications
- PMI-CP – Construction professional in built environment projects (New). Still, it is not released. But according to me, this is the certification that has the potential to become one of the best known (like PMP) from PMI, after a long gap. This certification is exclusively for professionals from the construction domain (3 years’ experience in construction is mandatory)
PMI Agile project management certifications applicable to Information technology and new product development projects
- PMI-ACP – PMI Agile certified practitioner – According to PMI, this certification will provide you with basic understanding of agile. According to my personal experience, if you go for PMP exam, 50% of the syllabus is Agile and on top of it you will gain good knowledge about predictive and hybrid project management. I always prefer and recommend PMP certification over PMI-ACP certification.
- DASM – Disciplined Agile Scrum Master
- DASSM – Disciplined Agile Senior Scrum Master
- DAVSC – Disciplined Agile Value Stream Consultant (DAVSC) Certification
- DAC – Disciplined Agile Coach Certification