The title ‘agile implementation plan’ itself will raise the eye brows of many agile pundits / purists becuase agile culture has to be adapted, nurtured than implemented. Theoretically I agree to this view, where as practically it is time consuming and unpredictable. What we repeatedly do become our culture. Hence, we are strong proponents of ‘Agile implementation’ according to a plan to the early adopters and over a period of that will become the defacto culture.
The demand for agility has increased in an unprecednted manner due to distributed teams, hybrid styles of working and the need to deliver faster than the competion. Even though agile project management frameworks were software development specific initially, these days other functions like marketing, engineering, procurement, banking and HR have started adopting agile.
When it comes to embracng agility, since the options are many, the sponsors and champions of agile implementations within organizations have various views, about improving agility of teams, departments and organizations. Big bang approach Vs start small and then scale are the predominant contention point. Atleast 50% of our clients are the ones who tried the big bang approach which failed after spending considerable amount of time and money. Instead of creating more agile supporters, these failed agile initiatives created more agile skeptics. These same organizations got better results when they tried the start small and then scale approach.
Agile Implementation Plan
What are the key benefits of this Agile implementation plan
This agile implementation plan is very effective, becuase;
- It is highly manageable. If we try a large scale big bang implementation it becomes unmanageable at times. It also leads to improper stakeholder management leading to high degree of resistance to change.
- It helps you to start the agile transformation journey without disrupting the current culture. This will help to reduce resistance to change.
- Delivers presentable results within 30 to 60 days. This is important to get organizational support.
- It creates internal champions, who will sell ‘agile’ internally. The internal champions also will reduce the dependency on external coaches, consultants and trainers after the initial handholding.
- Irrespective of the ‘success’ or ‘failure’ of the initial sprints, the agile vocabulary gets ingrained into the organization’s DNA
If you want to know more about agile transformations with ‘agile implementation’ approach, let us connect on linked in
Experienced Agile Transformation Coach