Key Points to be considered while choosing the development approaches;
- Degree of innovation – If the degree of innovation is high, then it is more suited for adaptive styles. If the degree of innovation is low, then it is more suited for predictive styles.
- Requirements certainty – When the requirements are well known and less likely to evolve over time then predictive styles are applicable
- Scope stability – If the scope is highly stable (changes are less), then they are more suited for predictive models.
- Ease of change – Construction projects are not easy to change where as a web site development project is easy to change
- Delivery options – Big bang delivery at the end of the project Vs frequent deliveries
- Risk management – Some products need lot of upfront planning to manage the risks, where as some other products need frequent prototyping for efficient risk management
- Safety requirements – Products with stringent safety requirements are more aligned to predictive styles as it requires lot of upfront planning
- Regulations – Projects which are bound by compliance to regulations are more aligned to predictive styles
- Stakeholder involvement – agile projects need high level of stakeholder involvement during the project
- Schedule constraints – something is required urgently, even if it is a semi finished product
- Funding availability – If the funding availability is a concern, then it is more aligned to adaptive.
- Organizational structure – plays a major role because agile demands flat structure where as in predictive project management, there is room
Hybrid project management is about tailoring predictive project management approaches and adaptive (agile) project management approaches in a logical way to maximize the value delivered by the product of the project.
The tailoring sequence
- Select initial development approach
- Tailor for organization
- Tailor for project
- Implement ongoing improvement
Tailoring at the performance domains
- Project team
- Development approach and life cycle
- Project work